Friday 10 May 2013

Learning environments

Here's a little blog I penned a few weeks ago.

I have just returned from re-setting up the furniture in my classroom ready for the second term. It has been 6 months and 2 classes since I ditched half my class desks for a more informal classroom with S  P   A   C   E.
Along with many educators out there I was inspired last year to finally make the change and ditch the desks. Luckily I could completely remove desks into an empty room next door and had the green light from the principal. So the transformation began to take place.
Our new totes
Initially I co-created the space with the children's ideas. The existing class couch (definitely worse for wear, but still enjoyed by all), a group table from a disused junior room, beanbags, cushions and some plush red chairs from Trade me, 2 low forms for the mat area, and a small table on wheels that once held a photocopier, all became part of our class space. Desk tote trays were replaced with portable tote buckets.

The idea was to
1. Create space for 30+ senior school students in a small prefab
2. Create places for different learning styles

My original configuration 2012
Today I took to the task of re-organising these furnishings for the winter terms - opening access to the heaters, avoiding lower sunfall, and accommodating spaces for a student teacher. This took a lot less time than I used to spend moving desks, trying to make groupings of children that wouldn't conflict, moving everyone's totes into their new, teacher chosen spots.... This year my time spent in the classroom during the holidays was for planning the learning - rather than planning the behaviour management. That's another story.

Old classrooms can be limiting, and seem so inflexible when compared to the new classrooms and schools that have been built recently, but all it takes is a little kiwi ingenuity and a can-do attitude to make a classroom work for you and your students. Thanks to inspiring teachers like Stephanie for helping me to see the possibilities and take the plunge.

Will upload photo of the new winter configuration soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment