Saturday 25 May 2013

Supporting the profession


Having a student teacher in the classroom teaches you so much about yourself. Being a role model, everyday, for 8 weeks at a time can sometimes be harder then we think. The pressure to be at the top of your game every day so that you can help them to be the best they can be is tough.

I have the privilege of helping to nurture a student teacher this term, yet at the same time I am still constantly challenging myself to become a better teacher. Trying to balance the two things can be difficult. 

I am wanting to make some changes to class routines, but my student needs to learn the routines so he can take on full control. I am learning to integrate ICT's in an e learning class, but as I'm the learner this is in bits and pieces at the moments, so the structures for my student teacher to follow are not in place yet. I am redefining daily 5 for my classroom, and switching to online planning, so the systems around these two things are not perfect ....yet.

There are so many changes that I am going through I sometimes think my student would be better off in someone else's classroom. Or is there some redemption in the fact that the student teacher can see how change happens in a classroom, and how as the teacher you are the driver of that change which is needed to suit your learners and the world they will be living in?

No comments:

Post a Comment